Monday, February 8, 2010

INSPIRATION

Today I got a post card from india from my dear friend Bridget that inspired me to think about how so much of my love for textiles comes from India and Gandhi's understandings about textiles . At Ambatalia above the front door I painted
"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and poverty".




Khadi - the fabric of freedom , it is a tribute to the freedom movement in India and how Khadi was a means of self-enpowerment that swept the country.



Iqbal demonstartes block printing in the Anohki Museum in Amber, India. Iqbal is astonishingly skillful and facinting to watch.



Khatri Jabbar Mohammad explains how he and his family have been printing textiles in this way for 9 generations. He tells us what he uses to produce his masterpieces.

No comments: